A little experiment on my 41st birthday. Which is today. 41 works that have created who I am today. I invite any of you to make your own list. I’ll also most likely be cross posting this to get more interaction.
I don’t have any rules for this. Some things will encompass many within the number while other things will be separated. For example, the Marvel movies are going as one entry so it doesn’t take up over 20 spots on the list. Also, I have a feeling I’ll forget something along the way. But let’s play along and see what this inspires. This will be in order it comes to mind, not in order of influence or importance.
41 Works from any media that have created who I am today.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Star Wars
- High Fidelity (book and movie)
- Tao of Steve
- The Warriors
- Hanna Barbera
- Kevin Smith
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
- GI Joe (cartoon, comic, and toy line)
- West Coast Avengers
- Anthrax “Sound of White Noise”
- Nirvana “Unplugged”
- Alice in Chains “Dirt” and “Unplugged”
- Ghost “Prequelle”
- Wizard magazine
- Mystery Science Theater 3000
- Cartoon Network
- Adult Swim
- The Simpsons
- WWF/WWE/WCW/ECW/ all of it
- Mad magazine
- Batman 1989
- Christopher Reeve Superman
- Incredible Hulk TV show
- Batman the Animated Series
- the Stephen Spielberg Presents cartoons – Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Pinky & the Brain, Freakazoid
- Saturday Morning Cartoon Hits CD
- Batman 1966
- Chuck Klosterman
- Harlan Ellison
- Stan Lee
- Disney Afternoon
- Monster Squad
- The Last Dragon
- Speedball (and the New Warriors)
- Toys R Us
- Headbangers Ball
- Beastie Boys
I honestly expected that to take longer. I’m already thinking of things missed. But this acts as a bit of a starter recipe to get something close to who and what I am.
I will require an edit in which you explain everything 😉
Somehow Ghost has been under my radar until recently. I listened to Prequelle and was completely blown away. I don’t know how I’ve missed them all these years!
We’re about 7 years apart so it’s interesting to me to see just how much overlap we share and also the things that wouldn’t be anywhere near my own list.